Kicking off their season right: Boys’ basketball team wins the Jack Reilly tournament title

Michelle Yu, Editor in Chief

After long and arduous battles, the Boys’ Varsity Basketball team came out on top at the annual Jack Reilly Holiday Tournament, taking down long-time opponent Northern Valley Demarest to win the championship game. The team still remains undefeated after coming first in the tournament on December 30th at the Fort Lee High School gymnasium. As the current top team in their league, the boys show no signs of slowing down their winning streak.

Led by top scorer, senior Luka Radovich, the Cougars proved their perseverance and endurance by fighting to tie up — and eventually win — the game after being down at halftime. Besides Radovich (22 points), other contributors to the final 55-43 score were seniors Harrison Lucibello (16 points), George Sikoryak (6 points), Evan Millionis (6 points), Wellington Ventura (5 points), and Ben Green (3 points). The boys, who have been playing together since they were kids, were able to use their shared competitiveness to beat the Demarest players, whom they have also been competing against since elementary school. A win for Cresskill finally closed off the rivalry between the two teams.

Cresskill has had a history of success within its basketball program, so it wasn’t a surprise when the boys claimed victory. In fact, their coach Mr. Egorow, who is in his first season as head coach, is a Cresskill alum and played on the same court in high school. Though stepping up to the ranks of the previous coach, Mr. Doto, might seem daunting, Mr. Egorow made the transition seamless and has not faltered in his dedication to the team. His belief in the team was only strengthened after the big triumph; he was “extremely proud of the players” and notes that “being able to come out of that tournament with three wins has given [the] team a ton of confidence that [they] can play anyone.” Mr. Egorow wants the boys to continue to support and motivate each other and encourages them to enter unprecedented territory in their basketball careers.

The season hasn’t even hit its halfway mark, and the Cougars are already showing exceptional talent on the court. With this new leadership, a big win to their name, and veteran members returning stronger than ever, the Varsity basketball team has everything they need to make this season great enough for the books.