Less Stress? The Mindfulness approach in the classroom

Gwenyth Gorfin, Managing Editor

The drive to get good grades and acceptance into elite colleges, combined with participation on sports teams and other after-school activities, as well as hours of homework thrown into the mix, makes teenagers the most stressed group of people in America when school is in session.

Taking a break from our fast-paced society to just escape the constant pressures that being a teenager bring almost seems unimaginable. However, there is an effective way in which we can take our mind off of the anxiety and “de-stress” inside school. With the yoga and meditation craze that has gotten people addicted to becoming the better version of themselves through calming exercises, many teachers at CHS have been dedicating time during class for mindfulness sessions.

Mindfulness has been shown to improve teens’ physical and mental health. These simple guided meditations are all part of a fast-growing trend in education, where schools are providing these exercises in response to the enormous pressures students are facing. These exercises require no phones, computers, or pencils. They simply ask the students to focus on themselves and their own breathing. One of the main reasons as to why students are latching onto this new method is that, when students are given the chance to stop, think, breathe and really feel where they are at, they begin to understand how much stress they are under. As a result, they begin to do something about it. It means taking time out of their busy schedules to do some yoga, meditation, or de-stressing activities to make them more calm and successful during the school day.

Having the opportunity to be in an environment that promotes a stress free workplace where relaxation is encouraged affords students the opportunity to focus on improving their mental health, rather than focusing solely on studying for an exam to get an A. This enriching learning space should be enacted in each classroom at Cresskill to ensure the best and most positive experience for all teens.