Students Lead Gun Reform Conversation at “Town Hall For Our Lives”

Michelle Yu, Editor in Chief

Student activists for gun control reform proved on April 7 that they will not be silenced. They’ve walked out. They’ve marched. They’ve spoken out. And now they’re initiating thought-provoking discourse at local town hall meetings. There’s no stopping them now.

Just this past month, more than 120 meetings were held across the country in over 30 states, branded as “Town Hall For Our Lives.” At least two took place in New Jersey, with one right here in Bergen County. In attendance were students who may not know each other very well but were able to unite over a cause they were passionate about. As a long-time proponent for gun control, senior Olivia Sher proudly represented Cresskill at the meeting. Sher is no stranger to taking a stand for what she believes in; she was one of five seniors who organized Cresskill’s own walk-out last month — a gathering that prompted many positive responses and deep-rooted discussions. Since that event, Sher has continued to encourage others to join her in the fight against the lack of gun control legislation in the US. To her, town hall meetings are important because “it’s time we start holding our legislators responsible… [By] having them attend, we’re saying that we’re paying attention… and they have to answer to us.”

April 7’s town hall meeting in Ridgewood gained enough momentum to draw in quite a crowd, including three well-known politicians. Students met with New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez, Representative Josh Gottheimer, and Congressman Bill Pascrell “to discuss the current state of gun safety in NJ,” says senior Sam Higgins. “Students, parents, and anyone who came to the town hall were able to ask questions.” The roughly 200 outside observers present wore orange ribbons in support as they watched Menendez commend the student activists for continuing this much needed national dialogue. A gun-control advocate himself, Menendez said he “[heard the students] loud and clear.”

Though these students are young, they are asking all the right questions. Politicians may maintain their negligence of the issue still, but they can only disregard the ‘inexperienced’ youth for so long. Soon enough, the volume of these community forums will reach such insurmountable heights that the government will have to do something. It all starts here.