Seniors Come Out on Top After Close Battle at Quiz Bowl; Following Events Hype Up Spirit Day Excitement

Michelle Yu

Seniors Carley Wells (far left), Joe Mioli (center) and Kamila Azbel (right) during the karaoke competition

Michelle Yu, Editor in Chief

In a not so surprising turnout, the seniors emerged victorious in Quiz Bowl after a long and difficult competition, where the seniors played a game of tag with the freshmen in terms of points. While the overall game was suspenseful and looked like it could go in any grade’s favor, the seniors and freshmen spent a majority of Quiz Bowl tied, with one gaining a point after the other.

Like every annual Quiz Bowl hosted by Mr. Metz, questions asked about a wide array of topics, ranging from movie facts about The Terminator to what the oldest city in the world is. This year especially, a handful of questions could not be answered by the participants, as they were nearly impossible riddles sent in by fellow students and faculty alike. Still, members of the audience, who pumped up the whole auditorium’s atmosphere with music and cheering, were surprised when their classmates could name the Barbie doll’s surname and list the most precious gems in the world.

Michelle Yu
Mr. Massaro beginning the Spirit Day proceedings

Finally, at the end of the competition, when it seemed like the freshmen could actually beat the seniors by one point, the seniors pulled through, winning with a score of 27. The freshmen followed with 25, the juniors with 23, and the sophomores with 22.

While seniors were still celebrating their win, the student council set up for a new Spirit Day activity — relay charades. Players had to act out a given word to their teammates in hopes that they would recognize it quickly; teammates switched back and forth among each other until time ran out. The team with the most charades named would be the winner. Though the actual players seemed to be having fun, the activity ran long for members of the audience, who felt they couldn’t involve themselves in the activity other than trying to help their classmates out. The juniors won that activity.

Finally, the last two events of the morning were the highly anticipated Spirit Day Commercials and Karaoke. The commercials were wildly cheered for as they were playing, and each grade employed a different theme to convince judging faculty that they were the best. While freshmen couldn’t come through with a video, sophomores decided the best way was to kiss up to teachers in order to get their vote. Juniors used their advanced video and technological skills to make a special-effects commercial, highlighting the best of the best in their grade. Finally, the seniors built off of last year’s video — which involved them stealing the Spirit Day trophy — to make a “sequel” narrative. Judging for the videos will occur in the afternoon.

The Karaoke event was, without a doubt, the most spirited event, which was perfect preparation for

Michelle Yu
The senior class joins Carley Wells and Kamila Azbel to sing Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”

this afternoon, where students are expected to get hyped and excited. All karaoke singers chose songs from in the late 1900s in connection to the Decade Dress Up days this past Tuesday. Students from all grades stood up and cheered on the performers, regardless of what grade they were in, which brought the entire high school together. Teachers and students were dancing in the audience, singing along to their favorite tunes. After Karaoke, students were sent off to lunch to get prepared for what’s to come next: the biggest events of the day.