The Virus That Has Paused Our World

Image from Pixabay.

Samantha Distell, Student Life Editor

The notion of closing school and resuming classes online has been in the air for the past week within Bergen County, after many universities, public schools, and private schools alike have decided to close their doors to students for an indefinite amount of time. As of Thursday, March 12, it has been confirmed that school will not be in session for a minimum of two weeks beginning Monday, March 16. Many speculate that the time off will extend past the two weeks. 

COVID-19, more commonly known as the Coronavirus, is a disease that originated in China in December of 2019. Since December, the Coronavirus, now classified as a pandemic, has made its way around the world, spreading sickness and panic everywhere it goes. There are confirmed cases in many different countries within Africa, Europe, Southeast Asia, the Americas, the Western Pacific and the Eastern Mediterranean. Symptoms include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Based on factors such as age and underlying medical conditions, COVID-19 can become severe to the point of fatality.

Students at Cresskill High School are overwhelmed with concern as to how school and sports will continue. Junior Brandon Tilp shares this sentiment: “Being in track and AP classes, I don’t want school to close down,” Tilp said, “but it seems to be for the best as it will help to prevent mass spreading of the virus through the town.”

While the closing of our school district  is inconvenient, students recognize the necessity behind the county’s decision to do so. Many teachers plan to use Google Classroom as a way to assign work throughout these extraordinary times. Others will proceed with classes using Zoom, a video communication platform.

No matter which method teachers use, though, it is expected that the transition to online classes will be chaotic, given the fact that students and teachers alike will be navigating unprecedented academic territory come Monday.

Sophomore Danielle Hiterer anticipates that online classes will be extremely stressful, because, as she explains, “we have never done something like this.” Nobody is quite sure how the online courses will play out, but students and teachers are expected to work together in these times of uncertainty and to resume learning as quickly as possible, despite the location in which it will happen. 

This virus has had a massive impact on many aspects of life, specifically, gatherings of people. Schools are closing down, students on study abroad trips are being sent home, sporting events are getting canceled, and those are only a few cancellations out of the many that are affecting daily life. Another main concern right now is that the stock market is at an all-time low, resulting in people across the globe losing great sums of money.

It seems as though the world is on pause: people aren’t leaving their homes, and essentially everything is closed, as precautionary measures have increased.

Senior Victoria Milionis, aggravated by this interruption of daily life, says, “The coronavirus made me have to cancel travel plans to Greece for the summer and cancel my Accepted Students Day for college, where I was planning to meet my roommate and other college friends!”

It is unclear how long life will be on a halt or if this virus will get better anytime soon. However, it is said with confidence that the Cresskill community will work together to stay strong during this turbulent period.

Remember to stay safe and take precautions.