The Future Of CHS Football In The Age Of Covid

Brian McQuillen, Co-Sports Editor

Over the past couple of months, Covid-19 has affected so many people across the world. Thousands of people have not only contracted the virus, but have died. 2020 has been a year filled with unpredictable circumstances and even though the virus first affected the United States nearly half a year ago, the future is still unclear. Schools around Bergen County have called off fall sports, and some of them have also already reversed that decision, including Teaneck and Leonia. For fall sports such as football, cross country, and soccer their seasons will look completely different from previous years. According to Varsity Aces,  the league committee has decided that they will have an 8 game season, but with no playoffs. For the seniors, this would be their last chance to win a championship. Senior Kiel McGee said “It’s been tough getting ready for the season with all that has been going on with COVID. The team has done a great job staying focused and practicing hard because we never know when our last practice or game may be. We could be shut down at any point.” He also acknowledged the fact that although his senior season may not be in the format he had hoped for, he will still get a chance to close his high school football career on a high note. Weeks ago, there was a chance that there would not even be a fall sports season, so as McGee stated, the football team will continue to prepare for every game despite there being a chance of immediate suspension. 

In this time of need, coming together as a group is something that everyone needs. Having a group of teammates going through a tough time like this will help the process run smoothly. Junior Richard Miraldi says “Although COVID was a big factor in how much we could do during practice and the preseason, we really came together and did as much as we can as a team following the precautions and keeping everyone safe.” Miraldi went on to elaborate on the fact that these troubles in our society have brought the team closer together and he believes that it can also lead to a successful season. While the future of the fall season will remain up in the air, all of the teams will continue to prepare daily.