Book Review: All The Bright Places

Get Ready To Cry!

Samantha Distell, Student Life Editor

Coming from a movie kind of gal… you NEED to read this book. All the Bright Places, brilliantly written by Jennifer Niven, absolutely broke me into a million pieces. I sobbed for hours, right through family dinner, snot and everything. Food lost taste. No other books and movies interested me. I threw my phone across the room and refused to speak to anybody. All I wanted to do was think about this book. 

The novel is a heartrending love story centered around two high schoolers who meet on the edge of their school’s roof. The quirky and unpredictable Theodore goes by his last name, Finch; then enters the seemingly perfect Violet Markey. The two have to complete a long-term project together for their geography class. While Violet is not fond of the idea of working with Finch at first, she soon learns to love spending time with him. They learn more about each other as time goes on and how to live their lives to the fullest. The story continues and the two open up about their struggles with mental illness, death, and suicide. This masterpiece is incredibly layered, with beautiful characters and a beautiful story that reminds you of what it is like to be alive. It’s raw, it’s honest, and simply put, it is perfect.

Now maybe I’m making it sound like the entire novel is a walk through tissue park, but that’s not quite accurate. I didn’t bring out the mint chocolate chip ice cream and big spoon until the end. The majority of the novel is a funny, charming, and adventurous love story interspersed with moments of serious drama. The end hits you like a rock. No, a BOULDER. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it; you’ve just got to see for yourself.

I can truly say that I am changed for the rest of my life. Yes, I know, I sound like a cliché. “Oh this book changed my life, blah blah.” I used to roll my eyes at people who said that, but here I am, and my entire perception of life is altered because of some words on a page. This novel made me question who I am and who I want to be. 

I can tell you right now who I want to be has significantly changed since I read this book. 

All the Bright Places is not some basic high school love story. It is not an easy read. It is a book that truly makes you feel something and consider your life, its value, and what you want to do with it. Part of me wants to just keep this perfect story to myself, but I know this is a read everybody must have. If you do decide to read it, be prepared to be absolutely consumed in the greatest story you will ever lay your eyes on; then call me after so we can talk about how perfect it is. Oh and one last thing: DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE. I only saw the cover picture of the trailer, but I can already tell it is all wrong. 

Thank you Jennifer Niven for truly changing my life.