Euphoria Review

Euphoria+Review

High school shows are arguably the biggest thing in entertainment. Since the beginning of television, shows featuring teenagers have always been the most successful and “Euphoria” is no exception. After its initial airing in 2019, “Euphoria” has captivated audiences with its air of mystery and its dark undertones. 

The show focuses on the lives of a group of highschool students. Although most of them are friends, all of their stories are different in their own way. However, they have one thing in common: each and every one of them faces their own set of obstacles. 

The show is narrated by Rue Bennet (Zendaya), a drug addict who struggles to stay sober. Rue narrates the lives of other characters while at the same time navigating through the difficult endeavor of overcoming her addiction. Rue had a myriad of emotional scenes in season 1 which landed Zendaya with three different awards for her performance. 

Immediately after its release, “Euphoria” erupted, with fans – mostly older teeenagers – captivated with the romanticized stories of troubled youth. 

On January 9th, 2022, the first episode of the long anticipated second season of “Euphoria” finally aired which left fans excited to see how the lives of their beloved characters will play out.

The season picks up right where the previous one left, and dives right into the backstory of fan favorite character, Fezco (Angus Cloud). Fez is Rue’s sympathetic drug dealer who is more of a friend to her than just a dealer. The audience discovers that his grandma, (Kathrine Narducci) saved him from his abusive household and made him her business partner – her business being drug dealing. 

As per usual “Euphoria” wouldn’t be “Euphoria” without a party scene. Episode 1 includes a New Years Eve blowout with its fair share of drama. Cassie (Sydney Sweenie) gets into a fight with her younger sister Lexi (Maude Apatow) on the way to the party, leaving her stranded outside of a gas station. She is offered a ride from Nate Jacobs (Jacob Elordi) which she graciously accepts. The two of them decide to hook up in the bathroom of the party which kicks off their relationship. This would not be a big deal if not for the fact that Nate’s ex girlfriend, Maddy (Alexa Demie) happens to be Cassie’s best friend. The next two episodes of season 2 focus on this messy relationship and Maddy becoming more and more suspicious of her best friend and ex. 

These new revelations to “Euphoria” add a new dimension to the show which season 1 lacked. However, other factors of the show remain the same, one of which being the over excess amount of nudity. It makes sense that a show which revolves around high school students will have its fair share of nude scenes but the amount in “Euphoria” borders on unnecessary. It is almost as if director Sam Levinson simply wants to add as many explicit scenes as he could possibly fit. 

While the show is meant to reflect teen life, it is way too over dramatized which makes it difficult to relate to. If Levinson were to cut back on the nudity and show the characters actually attending a class, it might be a more accurate portrayal of what it’s like to be a teenager.