The New and Improved Cresskill Academies

Gwenyth Gorfin, Managing Editor

The Academies at Cresskill High School are into their fourth year and the evolution is clearly evident. Students are given the opportunity to participate in internships and field trips, which allow students to get a hands-on experience in a specific field that interests them. The Academy advisors (Mr. Conlon, Mrs. Kurek, Mrs. Cavallo and Ms. Shalhoub) stated “one of the biggest changes in the Academies has been its size.” The Academies has evolved into a comprehensive program, operating in all grade levels. New this year is a fully-developed website which lists the supervisors for each grade level, and describes a participation system that is not point based.

As the program developed, opportunities increased and meetings became more engaging. The advisors believe that the program’s goal is “to be able to explore and pursue your passions and give back to your community.” Instead of students solely concentrating on earning points to remain in the program, this year the advisors are pushing students to learn by thinking outside the box and reflecting on their hands-on experiences. According to the advisors, the biggest changes will be visible at the freshman and senior levels. For the freshman cohort, the students meet in smaller groups with two teachers allowing students to engage in deeper conversations and being more comfortable with their environment rather than meeting in a group of 20 to 30 students. For the senior cohort, the Academies require students to complete an internship during their senior year rather than making it optional. Internships are the best form of experiential learning, because seniors apply and synthesize what they have learned over the past four years in a real life situation. This enriches their experience, and allows them to contribute and give back to their community.

“I find the growth and changes in the Academies to not only benefit the students but also the teachers, administration and the development of the program itself.”

— Grace Rabinowitz

The Academies will continue to evolve over time, but the current improvements will be a huge hit with the students. They will allow students to explore and find their passion and at the same time give back to our community. Grace Rabinowitz, a senior in the STEM Academies, says “I find the growth and changes in the Academies to not only benefit the students but also the teachers, administration and the development of the program itself.” In just four years, the Academies have grown in size, evolved in their approach and are giving students a defined path as they advance through their high school careers.