Eyes in the Skies: CHS’ take on recent missile tests by the infamous North Korean Regime

Max Wilson, Staff Writer

US citizens accustomed to gazing skyward at the sun, clouds, and the occasional plane could someday see a truly sinister sight: a North Korean nuclear missile.

In recent years, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un has responded to international condemnation over human rights violations with threats underscored by nuclear and missile tests.

“We are ready to retaliate with far bigger actions to make the U.S. pay a price for its crime against our country and people,” the reclusive nation recently warned, through its official Korean Central News Agency.

A North Korean ‘earthquake’ last month which registered 6.3 on the Richter scale was reported by Quartz to have been caused by a test of the hermit kingdom’s most powerful weapon yet: a hydrogen bomb.

North Korea has also tested its upgraded missile range, with an August 29th launch that put the US territory of Guam in its reach, according to CNN. Ex-CIA Director Michael Hayden believes North Korea will be able to deliver a nuclear payload to Seattle by 2020.

Though these facts are alarming, Cresskill students take them with a grain of salt.

“The United States has the largest military in the world,” said Rachel Kim, a junior of Korean-American heritage, adding that “Kim Jong-Un is aware of this.”

Another student, who has lived in South Korea, noted that Kim’s previous threats have been “empty,” so “it’s natural to assume that their threats are empty again.”

“North Korea is a weak country that is hanging onto China,” said a third student of Korean heritage who asked not to be named. “They always bluff, so I don’t really care.”

North Korea’s threats show no sign of diminishing, but it appears most Cresskill students aren’t letting them disrupt their lives.