The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Cresskill Students Respond to Parkland Shooting

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Olivia Sher, Samantha Higgins, and Katherine Klein

Monday, February the 26th at around noon, “an unspecified threat from a student put Dumont High School on lockdown late Monday morning, responders said.” This incident comes only 12 days after the Parkland shooting that took the lives of 17 people, and hits much closer to home; Dumont High School is a mere 2.3 miles away from Cresskill High School. These recent occurrences are a strong reminder for students and faculty about the six hour lockdown that happened in Cresskill just three years ago.  

When asked about school safety, junior Nicole Bianco stated that, “Considering that our school had a six-hour lockdown and nothing has changed, I want to say that I don’t feel very safe.”

Fear seemed to be a common theme among students’ responses nationwide after Parkland. Although Cresskill is a safe community, the events in Parkland point out that this could happen anywhere in the country.

Junior Kenny Spadaccini remarked, “I personally feel safe, it’s a safe community, it’s a safe town, but you never know because Parkland in Florida was also a town similar to Cresskill. I’m sure they felt safe at their school until it happened and when I came into school the next day, yes, I was a little shook, but there will hopefully be change implemented.”

But, these unfortunate incidents are beginning to become a part of students’ daily lives. Many students have expressed a need for change. In Parkland, the students are marching to their state capital and planning a nationwide March For Our Lives.

In Cresskill, students are feeling the same need for change. When asked about the state of gun control in the U.S, junior Sierra Melbrich commented, “I think [gun laws] should be stricter. I don’t know the technicalities of what exactly needs to happen. No assault rifles should be able to be bought by anyone.”

Students across the country have felt the collective fear and the need for the change that have stemmed out of Parkland. While many CHS students are under 18, senior Kiaralisse Hiciano is still hopeful that students’ voices matter: “But for now, since we can’t vote yet, I don’t think they’re going to change. But, things are going to change soon.”

• Cresskill Students Respond to Parkland Shooting

Showcase

Cresskill Boys Soccer Roars Into the State Tournament

Showcase

Students Walk, Jump, and ZUMBA for Breast Cancer Awareness

Showcase

Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Taliento

Features

Scholar, Teacher, and Cresskill Cougar – Remembering Mr. Kline

Showcase

Spirit Day Highlights

Showcase

Missed Spirit Day? Here’s the Ultimate Recap

Showcase

Seniors Come Out on Top After Close Battle at Quiz Bowl; Following Events Hype Up Spirit Day Excitement

Showcase

Cake Decorating Competition

Showcase

Junior Defies Odds, Wins Madden Tournament

• Showcase

Decades Day Sweeps the Halls at CHS