What Talks with North Korea Mean for Cresskill Students

Inter-Korean Summit Press Corps: https://flic.kr/p/26zUBET

President Moon Jae-in and Chairman of the State Affairs Commission Kim Jong Un share conversations while they take a walk on the Footbridge, where there is a sign for the Military Demarcation Line (MDL) in Panmunjeom on April 27.

Max Wilson, Staff Writer

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are set to meet in Singapore (once called “Asian Switzerland”) to discuss disarmament of the pariah state, as well as its role in the world economy.

Robert B. Murrett, a professor at Syracuse University, told Fox News in an interview that, should the peace talks between Trump and Kim (scheduled for June 12) succeed, North Korea may actually be able to once again join “the family” of Asian states.

It seems as though North Korea has been having a number of breakthroughs in regards to its global appearance lately – at the end of April South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong Un shook and held hands while crossing the DMZ together. A few days prior to this, Kim Jong Un expressed the previously unheard of idea that his hermit kingdom’s nuclear armament program is “complete” and no longer needed.

Although recent US – South Korea military drills have seemingly made North Korea consider cancellation of the talks, Kim Jong Un has in the past admitted that he understands the need for drills – meaning there’s plenty of reason to believe that the talks will proceed as planned.

This is good news for Cresskillians. If the talks proceed successfully, the last true nuclear threat to the US may be extinguished. In addition, if peace is truly achieved it could mean that South Koreans may be able to visit their relatives in the North, an event mirroring North – South reunions in 2014.

Julie Park, a junior at CHS, shares this hope, saying “I saw it [footage of Kim and Moon meeting] and the fact that Kim Jong Un took actually took our president’s hand and walked over to the North Korean border is really interesting…It kind of gives us hope that we actually might be united as one country.”

Still, not all Cresskill High Schoolers are so sure of this peace.

“Kim Jong Un is an egotistical jerk that likes to hold onto power,” junior student Ethan Aoki said, “I don’t believe that he is going to be willing to disarm the few weapons that he has that actually give him power to enact his tyranny.”

Similarly, Jacob Hamburger, a junior, said, “It’s hard not to really question his intentions. We’ve seen this pattern with North Korea over and over again.” Despite his hope for peace as an American citizen, Jacob explained “I am really skeptical of their intentions and of what we can really get out of something like this.”