Decades Day Sweeps the Halls at CHS

Olivia Newman, Editor in Chief

Kiaralisse Hiciano
Pink Ladies Victoria Milionis, Victoria Raspe, Lauren Miglietta, and Elley Wells representing the sophomore class

Walking through the halls of Cresskill High School on May 22nd, one may be surprised not to see the usual jeans, sweaters and sneakers that most 2018 teenagers don on a daily basis. Instead, as they pass a group of girls with high ponytails pulled back with scrunchies or a boy with a dashing top hat, they may be reminded of decades past: which is exactly the point. Many vibrant fashion trends of previous are being represented at CHS today as a part of Spirit Week, which will culminate on Thursday, May 24th, with Spirit Day. Winning Decades Day promises Spirit Week points, which inspires any student looking for their grade to emerge victorious on May 24th. With the seniors taking the ‘80s, the juniors sporting the ‘70s, the sophomores embodying the ‘50s, and the freshman depicting the ‘20s, there is certainly some very interesting apparel appearing on normally t-shirt clad students who are hoping for their grade to take the first place spot.

Kiaralisse Hiciano
Seniors Minji Kim, Noah Kim and Sarah Green in ’80s gear for Decades Day!

Students with the desire to win the competition are decked out in the clothes of their decade, hoping to gain the most points in today’s event. Neon t-shirts, leg warmers, denim jackets, poodle skirts, suits and hats, and even flapper dresses have taken the school by storm, demonstrating not only the incredible creativity of those who chose to dress up, but also the immense school spirit present at Cresskill. While winning Spirit Day is certainly a top priority, many students expressed that their reasoning for dressing up was much deeper than simply coming out on top.

Minji Kim feels that “it is her senior year and she just wants to participate,” and junior Kate Klein enjoys the fact that dressing up “builds up the anticipation and excitement for Thursday. And,” she added with a smile, “it’s just fun.”

Kiaralisse Hiciano
Sidhi Birani and Seo Yeong Park, both juniors, dressed in ’70s style to support their class in spirit week

The grade with the most people who participated in Decade Day will earn the largest amount points, and this result will be announced at the end of the day on May 24th, but each team should be immensely proud of the clear effort that was put into all of the individual costumes. It will be exciting to watch how the rest of the week unfolds!

Kiaralisse Hiciano
Kaitlyn Passarotti, a freshman, dressed in a flapper dress for decades day