Cake Decorating Competition

Minji Kim, Arts Editor

With Spirit Week off to a great start with rounds of volleyball and a long scavenger hunt, May 23rd marked the day of additional activities: banner decorating, handball, and cake decorating. A few students from each grade joined together to decorate cakes according to each grade’s theme. The freshmen had the 20’s, the sophomores the 50’s, the juniors the 70’s, and the seniors the 80’s. This year’s cakes were all colorful completely different from each other. While the scores are unknown, we found out a bit more about each cake.

The freshmen look a more elegant take on their cake, incorporating designs and pearls from The Great Gatsby and the historical Prohibition Era. They added the words “Roarin’ 21” to signify the year of their graduating class.

The sophomores added lots of colors, and their cake was centered around the timeless polka dot pattern. They topped the cake with a colored microphone as an homage to the essential ‘50s design.

The juniors went for the classic tie dye theme for their ‘70s cake. Fruity Pebbles surrounded the colorful tie dyed looking cake. It was topped with the words “Groovy Juniors” to plant their mark on the bright cake.

The seniors went big with their last cake ever, incorporating outside treats to create the cake design of their dreams. The cake was a bright magenta boombox, surrounded by PacMan sugar cookies and a rubix cube

made of Rice Krispies. Kiaralisse Hiciano, the senior who spearheaded the cake, said she wanted something “big and different that the teachers could relate to.”

While the winners will be announced, all the cake decorators did a great job to create designs that captured the essence of each theme.