Highlights, Lowlights, Soundbites: Spirit Day 2019-20

December 9, 2019

Everyone at Cresskill High School had been itching for Wednesday, November 26. This was, yes, the stub of a day before Thanksgiving break. But it had been heartily anticipated for reasons other than the looming holiday. This was not your typical Thanksgiving Eve. No really — this was Spirit Day 2019-20.

Spirit Day commences with CHS Principal John Massaro addressing the school.

Spirit Day is a much-cherished tradition at CHS, as a day on which students can informally showcase their talents — intellectual, artistic, athletic, and otherwise — with a healthy dash of inter-grade competition.

Due to scheduling conflicts, which barred its usual slating for late May, this year’s Spirit Day events were moved to this chilly half-week in November. The unprecedented change in scheduling initially stirred up some objections within the student body — some were dubious about how Spirit Week, traditionally a five-day extravaganza, would be packed into the week of Thanksgiving — but thankfully, Spirit Day programming turned out very smoothly: the early dismissal schedule made for a seamless transition between auditorium activities and gymnasium activities, free of the lulls in excitement begotten by the old schedule’s breaks for lunch and partial class periods.

During period 1, students eagerly awaited their call from the loudspeakers; grade levels’ arrivals at the auditorium were staggered so as to avoid a hallway stampede. The auditorium soon filled in waves, and Mr. Massaro and Student Council President Arthur Yoon addressed the crowd. The day’s first activity — Quiz Bowl — was announced, and those participating in it bounded onto the stage. Spirit Day was afoot.

Isabella Jiang
Student Council President Arthur Yoon (’20) addresses the school.
Isabella Jiang
Quiz Bowl kicked off the morning, putting some of CHS’s brightest to the test in a riveting intellectual race. Mr. Mejia made his debut as moderator, assuming Mr. Metz’s long-held position. The competition came down to a tough tie between the juniors and seniors, and ultimately Mr. Mejia had to pose two tie-breaking questions before the seniors could be stumped (Q: What is the biggest island in the United States? / A: Long Island).
Isabella Jiang
Junior Shelby Kim acts out ‘Emotions’ in Relay Charades.
Isabella Jiang
Senior Nicole Huh acts out a movie title.
Isabella Jiang
Sophomore Eliyahu Alfassi sings the Jonas Brothers’ “Sucker” in Karaoke.
Isabella Jiang
Juniors Kyle Passarotti and Mimi Steinberg sing “This is Me” from the movie “The Greatest Showman”.
Isabella Jiang
After an outstanding performance of Elton John’s “Rocket Man”, senior Walter Kruger bids farewell to an adoring audience.
Isabella Jiang
Isabella Jiang
Sophomore Aidan Hirsch delivers a breathtaking beatboxing performance.
Isabella Jiang
A freshman contestant dribbles his way through the Obstacle Course.
Isabella Jiang
The girls engage in a round of knockout.
Sophomores and juniors face off in a game of 3v3 basketball.
Isabella Jiang
Seniors and juniors face off during 3v3 finals.
Isabella Jiang
Sophomores race to transport M&Ms with chopsticks in the M&M Challenge.
Isabella Jiang
Students compete for a seat in musical chairs.
Isabella Jiang
Students compete in an intense game of dizzy bat.
Isabella Jiang
Freshmen and seniors engage in a close round of tug-of-war.
Isabella Jiang
The freshman and juniors battle it out in volleyball.
Isabella Jiang
The sophomores and seniors in volleyball finals; sophomores ultimately clinch the title, but seniors win Spirit Day.
Isabella Jiang
Seniors respond enthusiastically to the announcement of their victory.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

The Communiqué • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal