The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Keeping The Love Alive

As if relationships weren’t already complicated enough for some, the idea of long distance makes it a thousand times worse. Yes, being in a long distance relationship means you can’t see your significant other as often but is that reason enough to end the relationship? In my opinion, the answer is no, and here’s why:

Relationships are all about respect, love, and being open-minded. Without one of these three vital aspects, romance falls apart. It is important to keep your lover updated with your life and environment when living from a distance. This act doesn’t have to be something grand, just a simple, “Me and my friends are going to the movies tonight, what are you up to?” kind of text. That falls under the respect category, as your significant other should be aware of your whereabouts to an extent.

Moving onto the love aspect, it is important to reassure your partner that you still have feelings for them, as it can be difficult to tell at times when living from a distance. This can be as simple as calling them to say you miss them, to something more special, like shipping them your hoodie (If you want to be extra, spray your perfume/cologne on it). Long distance relationships can involve a lot of doubt but acts like these really do help keep your relationship strong.

The last topic on my list is being open-minded. If your significant other expresses that they feel mentally distant from you, don’t just shut them down and say they are overthinking. Their emotions are valid and in order to keep the relationship healthy, act upon your partner’s insecurities in the relationship. On the same note, communicating your own feelings is just as important.

I hope this helped anyone struggling in a long distance relationship or about to be in one. With the class of 2024 going to college in a couple months, don’t automatically end your relationship because long distance seems like too much work. With just a slight more effort, long distance relationships can strive so easily.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.