The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Laufey: Resurgence of Jazz in Modern Pop

GusPhilippas

If you’re among the millions who have recently discovered Laufey (pronounced LAY-vay), you have likely spent a considerable amount of time online, specifically on TikTok, enjoying music in short clips. You might also be part of a younger generation that profoundly connects with songs about the emotional rollercoaster of romantic infatuation. Additionally, you may only be familiar with the mid-20th-century music repertoire she skillfully references. 

Laufey Lín Jónsdóttir, a 24-year-old cellist and multi-instrumentalist, had a unique upbringing, dividing her time between Washington and Reykjavik. Her diverse heritage, being half-Chinese and half-Icelandic, exposed her to music from an early age.  She often accompanied her mother, a violinist, to orchestra rehearsals, and draws inspiration from her work. She pursued her education in music business at Berklee College of Music in Boston. During the pandemic, she returned to Iceland and began sharing cover songs online. She is now known for her soulful music and inspiration from the primetime of the jazz genre, which consistently embraced a nostalgic style rich with layered vocal harmonies and an acoustic guitar. It didn’t take Laufey long to amass a devoted following.

When asked about the jazz genre, the Cresskill High School student body seemed to agree that it is a dying one. 9 out of 10 students in period 4 study hall answered “no” when asked if they listen to jazz. Some students recalled times when their parents listened to Ella Fitzgerald or Duke Ellington, but none of them found interest in it for themselves. One student in particular has found a disdain towards Laufey. YP, a junior, needs clarification on how she gained her popularity: “now she is suddenly collaborating with Beabadoobie, which sucked.” Although YP had negative thoughts to share, it is clear that her dislike is not for the genre but a personal attack on Laufey, “She thinks she’s Mitski, but she is not.” However, YP was even nice enough to sing a 15-second snippet of a song by Laufey that she said she enjoyed. Wonder where she got that one from. 

The negative responses came from all except one, senior Phillip Om, who, when questioned about the new jazz uprising, showed a lot of enthusiasm. Phillip is a member of the music program at school, specifically the marching band and jazz band, and has a keen ear for this kind of nostalgic and soulful instrumental music. He gave his opinion on the real sound of jazz. “It’s free, and you have a lot of opportunities and creativity.” He shared his experience playing various jazz instruments. He is not only aware of who Laufey is, he happens to be a big fan and is excited about what she has to offer in innovating the music scene. 

Laufey’s musical essence manages to be steeped in nostalgia and perfectly aligned with the contemporary online world, where intense emotions are often conveyed in easily digestible formats. Nearly everything about her music, except for her lyrics, which sometimes touch on social media and the challenges of modern dating, evokes the era of American radio from the 1940s to the mid-1960s. Her songs are a fusion of elements of jazz, pop, and R&B, drawing emotional and musical complexity through this artistry. 

Laufey is getting increasingly popular and does not plan to stop anytime soon. She releases music and collaborations quickly and knows what needs to be done to climb the ranks in an industry that is now more complex than ever to be critically acclaimed. The only hope for the future is that the Cresskill student body finds a bit more of a liking for jazz and specifically new artists like Laufey.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.