Cresskill further diversifies its curriculum with black history month activities

Sierra Mehlbrech, Staff Writer

For the first time in recent Cresskill history, the schools are officially acknowledging the national celebration of Black History in the month of February, giving Cresskill students K-12 an opportunity to learn about black achievements outside the frame of their oppression. This means expanding Cresskill students’ knowledge of black history beyond topics like slavery and civil rights and learning about black advancements made in subjects like science, math, literature and the arts.

It’s an exciting new experience, not only for the students, but also for many teachers who have been anticipating this for years. Mr. Conlon, the head of the social studies department, proposed this celebration to staff members from all three school buildings; so far they “have all been very supportive and have given [him] different ideas [the department] could possibly incorporate.”

But why is this so important? This remembrance is not only meaningful for the African American community, but also imperative for the greater understanding of both national and international history. Black history is a large part of what America has come to be, and it exists far beyond oppression. Working toward incorporating this into Cresskill’s curriculum “has taken longer than [Mr. Conlon] would have wanted, but [he] also wants to make sure it is done well and in a way that is meaningful.”

By the end of the month, the goal is for each Cresskill student to have learned “something that they didn’t know before about black history.” In order achieve this, the celebration will carry on through each grade level, and the Race In America class will be working with elementary through high school students to ensure everyone has the chance to indulge in this educational celebration of black history and culture.