The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Selecting a College

Selecting a College

As a senior in high school, receiving college acceptance letters is one of the greatest pleasures but no one talks about the decision you have to make after receiving all of those letters. Picking a college if you do not have a dream school can definitely be a tricky concept, as your decision can affect the rest of your life. While this is true, it is important to take comfort in the fact that there are ways to pick the best college for you to thrive at:

1. The first and arguably most expected factor to consider is the school with the best academics. A Cresskill alumni from the class of 2023 explained that he waited to hear back from all of his schools and then committed to the most selective one. College’s primary purpose is to learn, so picking the school for this is definitely a valid reason. Specifically look to see if this college has exceptional programs/professors for your major. 
  2. College is not just a place to grow in knowledge, as it is a place to grow socially as well. I recommend touring all of the campuses and see which fits your vibe best! If you are looking for a very “school-spirited” vibe, a huge D1 football school might be of interest to you. Senior Andrew Fawcett expressed, “Penn State’s business school has both the academics and school-spirit I am looking for.” Checking out the fraternity/sororities at these colleges is also something to consider if you are interested in participating in Greek life.
  3. Location is also a HUGE thing to consider when deciding on the college that you want to go to. Since we live in New Jersey, if you were looking to stay relatively close to home, colleges in New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, NYC, the Southern Tier of New York, and the eastside of Pennsylvania would be best for you. If you were looking to be a medium-distance from home, schools in states like Massachusetts, Maryland, and Ohio are best. Lastly, if you are trying to get a fresh feel, you should consider schools in states like Florida, California, Arizona, Colorado, and perhaps even some abroad! Another Cresskill alumni from the class of 2023 said that he “chose to go to school in the south to gain a new perspective.”
  4. Class sizes are also an important factor when picking a college. As a freshmen, you are typically thrown in large lectures but if you are someone who would be unable to focus in such big class settings, a smaller school or an honors college might be something that you would want to look into. Current senior Shir Zipori explained that a 17:1 ratio is most ideal for her. Class sizes and student-to-faculty ratios are very easy to research, as they are usually on the school’s website.
  5. My last piece of advice applies to those who plan on dorming. Researching the dormitory halls on campus is extremely important in my opinion because if you are going to be living somewhere, you should feel as though you will be safe and comfortable. There are many different types of dorms (traditional halls, doubles, suites, apartments, quads, triples, singles, etc.) so be sure to thoroughly research them. A current senior who has already found roommates said, “A quad was my preference as you can make friends easily and it is not as expensive as the other options.” If you are having trouble deciding on which type of living style you prefer, try to imagine yourself actually living there and come to the final decision if having something like a bathroom or kitchen in your room is crucial. 

Hopefully these tips come to great use to my fellow class of 2024 and future seniors to come!

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.