The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Energy Drinks: Good or Evil

Energy drinks have gotten very popular, whether it comes to athletes using them for energy, drinking them to stay awake, and even just as a casual beverage. What people don’t know is the dangers of these highly caffeinated drinks. These drinks that have gotten so popular, like Celsius’s, can be very dangerous and the kids drinking it are usually unaware.

One danger of drinking these are the very high amounts of caffeine in them. A regular celsius drink contains 200 mg of caffeine. Drinking this much caffeine can raise your blood pressure and heart rate. That can even lead to anxiety and insomnia. Drinking energy drinks over the long term can also raise your risks for heart disease. It is ok to have an energy drink once in a while but since its rise in popularity, more and more people have been having 1-2 times a day. 

Shir Zipori, a student at Cresskill High School who doesn’t drink energy drinks says, “I have only heard bad things about energy drinks regarding health issues, and for that reason I tend to steer clear of them and drink coffee instead”. She claims that she doesn’t need them and thinks they are unnecessary, doing nothing but harm her. After talking to Sydney Migardos, another student at CHS, she expressed her love for Celsius and addresses what happens when she doesn’t have one. They can be easily addictive, and if Sydney doesn’t have at least 1, she gets tired and craves caffeine. With all the big names and fun colors that these brands are advertising, the danger goes over people’s heads. 

Energy drinks have become a craze in modern day society. Other than only drinking for a boost of energy when feeling tired, people have turned to these drinks as a substitute for soda or even sometimes water. Although they do contain large amounts of caffeine, with the average being around 200 mg, it is about equal to a cup of coffee in the morning. Not to mention, new energy drinks have come out with cleaner forms of caffeine and less sugar making them healthier than older forms of energy drinks. High School and College students are a big percent of energy drinkers, the most notable reason being for sports and extracurricular activities. After a long day of school, students need to stay energized for sport practices, games, or for their after school activities as there is no time to rest. Another reason for the big surge in drinking these forms of drinks can even be for focus. Personally, I need to drink at least two a day in order to stay focused and alert. Although I am drinking caffeine, which should be making me jittery, they actually energize me and allow me to focus on my work. 

As energy drinks become more and more popular, new brands have come out with cleaner versions. For example, although not able to be ordered out of the cafe, The Human Bean in Dumont has launched their own brand of energy drink called Bright Energy which has 160 mg of caffeine and is derived from natural green coffee beans. It is also packed with B6 and B12 vitamins and Ginseng Root, all for the purpose to make your energy last longer without a crash. Caitilin McGee, a Junior at Cresskill High School exclaimed her excitement about the human bean energy drink. “I’ve had it after the gym, and it was really good, I didn’t feel as tired and there was no feeling of jitters or crashes.” Caitlin went on to say that “It is also a good drink to have during school at lunch as it gives you a refresh for the rest of the day.” 

Since covid, another emerging energy drink brand is Celsius. Celsius has become all the rave for its variety of flavors, all of which are delicious, as well as its clean ingredients. As someone who drinks two celsius a day, I can confidently say that they help me get through school, sports, and work. Rita Reznik, a Junior at Cresskill High School and soccer player said that she enjoys drinking a celsius before a game or practice as it “boosts [her] energy after a long day of school.” In our interview, Rita also told me that everyone on the team also drinks one before games and practices, “it’s like an unspoken rule, almost like a ritual to have a good game or a good practice.”

Overall, energy drinks are a great form of energy and allow people, especially students, to get through their hectic day without feeling tired or lousy.

Donate to The Communiqué
    $0
    $500
    Contributed
    Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.