The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

What’s better: Break vs. Multiple Days Off?

Did you know the school calendar is different this year?

Cresskill High School has come up with a new school schedule this year.

The Board of Education approved a significant change to the school year calendar, which impacted some of our days off throughout the year. Historically, on certain days throughout the year, teachers attended full-day professional development sessions – even though students enjoyed a day home from school.

Now, Cresskill High School has changed some of the days off into half days and added one week of vacation days in February. As a result, some of the holidays have changed. For example, students had their school days off on Columbus Day which is the second Monday in October every year. In addition, Martin Luther King Day (the third Monday of January) and Memorial Day (the last Monday of May) have turned into half days. We interviewed some of the high school students to see what they think about this big change.

Some students will miss looking forward to Mondays off here and there throughout the school year. Senior Philip Om said, “I think taking a break for a week goes quickly compared to spreading the multiple days off. Also, I feel it is too sudden. I like the old schedule.”

However, many seem receptive to the idea of a longer break. Sophomore Mia Yoon thinks the new schedule is a good change: “I think the schedule is interesting since we got more days off for nearly a week and got weeks of spring break. But I also feel the breaks are random. However, I prefer this year’s schedule to last year’s since I think I can get more time to cram on the subjects.”

One junior felt that the random days off of the past didn’t help recharge them: “Spreading the days off out doesn’t really feel like having a break. It’s like an extra day to study procrastinated schoolwork. I like how the school changed our school and added an extra week in February.”

A senior agrees: “I think [week-long] breaks are more efficient in a way to take a rest than spreading the [days off] out. I prefer our new schedule.”

Overall, students and teachers showed positive reactions to our new attendance schedule. We don’t know if this schedule will continue next year, but it is likely to keep the current school calendar in future years.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.