The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Track team celebrates Fun Sock Friday

Fun Sock Friday is a friendly competition popular in the track world. It was first brought to Cresskill High School by Mr. Timochko, the distance coach for the track team. Fun Sock Friday was originally implemented to help with the morale of the team, since running can be a demoralizing sport. Tiko, a senior who had never run track before, said this about the new changes: “It makes me want to come. It’s an easy skip, so I don’t have to come on Fridays. But it’s a fun event and makes me excited to see what everyone will bring to the table.” 

Fun Sock Friday doesn’t only give bragging rights to the winner! Something the winner gets is a snack from Mr. Timochko. During the following week, Mr. Timochko allows them to come to his classroom and ask for any snack that he carries in his drawer: a choice of Reese’s Pieces, Snickers, or KitKats.  

While track season has just started, this friendly competition has already had multiple winners. Tiko won the competition when it was first introduced. Mr. Timochko said, “She wore Pulp Fiction socks, which was the first time I’ve seen those, and it’s one of my all-time favorite movies.” 

The second winner was Javel, a freshman at Cresskill High School who wore a sock with Christmas-themed patterns. Though it may not have fit the time of the year, Mr. Timochko approved of it, and after being asked why it seemed fun, he said, “It just seemed festive and cheered me up.”

The 3rd winner was three friends who wore a matching set of socks. Eunice Kim, Khushbu Srivastava, and Alicia Sathananthan’s socks held “hands” together, an original new idea not seen so far through the competition. All winners received their prizes, and this motivated others to try to participate too. All-round athlete Will Cusick even said, “I plan to wear fun socks soon. I think it is a fun competition that makes Friday practices more enjoyable. I love it.”

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.