The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

What Does it Really Take To Be a Cheerleader?

Cheerleading has never been looked at as a “real” sport. Over the years, it has evolved to a professional competition as teams have risen. It wasn’t until the early 2000s that cheerleading became an official sport. Though it’s not a full-contact sport, cheerleading still takes the same mental and physical strength as any other sport played in Cresskill. It may look easy from an audience’s point of view, but it requires much energy and emotion. For example, if a stunt falls or you get hurt, you need to keep a smile on your face. Cheerleading is also one of the most rewarding sports because you can watch all your hard work come together in your routine and hear the energy roar on the sidelines. 

Another key aspect of becoming a cheerleader is determination. You need to be loud, spirited, peppy, and much more. It takes much focus to make sure you stay smiling. It takes trust in not only yourself but your whole team. Being a cheerleader takes serious dedication to do your best and remain sharp. It takes passion and the ability to keep your head up when things get tough. When asked what it takes to be a cheerleader, freshman flier Kearia Marshall said, “I think it takes a lot of patience and trust in your captains, coaches, and teammates, but also it takes a lot of trust and confidence in yourself.” Yes! It does. Trusting yourself is one of the biggest qualities of a cheerleader. Junior back spot Kisberly Corcino agrees: “I think it takes spirit and a good attitude to maintain as the positive role models that represent our school. The same way any other sport has to give commitment, energy, and spirit we have to give in cheer as well.” 

Now with the new dynamic of welcoming Emerson into this year’s season, things may be harder than ever. Although we didn’t merge teams sharing the same sideline makes it feel like we did. With an entire other team right next to us, there is stress on both parts like making sure not to bump into each other or overlapping cheers. There is also a natural sense of competition like who’s louder and who has better stunts gets to our heads. When asked about the dynamic with the Emerson cheerleading team, junior flier Chloe Kim reflects: “I think it’s hard for both teams, but the love for the sport makes us forget the hardships.” And it does! Despite the challenges both teams face, we still put smiles on for the game. Both teams look forward to working together and building a bond in the future.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.