The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Twenty-Four Seven With Us: A New KPOP Group

TWS+debuts
Weverse
TWS debuts

Pledis Entertainment, a South Korean entertainment company has done it again! Although Pledis was founded in 2005, its journey to worldwide success came with the formation of  Seventeen, one of the biggest groups in 3rd generation Kpop. Now with the start of a new group in 5th gen, a six member Kpop group called Twenty-Four Seven With Us or TWS, debuted January 22, 2024, Pledis may be heading for even greater worldwide success. The world of Kpop is littered with disbanded groups and failed artists but Pledis may have found the secret formula for successful Kpop boy bands. It is understatement to say that debuting in the Kpop industry is challenging; data indicate that almost 100 new Kpop groups attempt to debut every year but less than 5% actually survive in the industry.

Before their actual debut, TWS pre-released their first single as a teaser with a music video that included appearances by their label-mates and sunbaenims (or seniors in the industry) Seventeen which generated buzz about the new group. On January 22, TWS released their debut mini album called “Sparkling Blue” with the title song called, “Plot Twist.” The song reflects everyday emotions and experiences in an honest and gentle manner. It is a refreshing and uplifting concept in the Kpop industry and importantly, marks a change from the recent increase of darker concepts in Kpop songs of recent comebacks.

The other songs in their album also adhere to  the same concept of the title song with uplifting soundtracks and an upbeat outlook allowing listeners to enjoy the music and relax while listening to TWS. The six-member boy band range in age from 16 to 20 years old with 5 Korean members and one Chinese member. Fan groups that support different Kpop bands are a large part of the Kpop culturing, offering support to the bands and a community for fans of different bands. The fan groups (also known as the fandom) have a name that is linked to the Kpop band’s name. The TWS fandom has yet to decide on a name. 

TWS shared their hopes and ambitions at a press event before their debut album was released with one of the members Youngjae saying that his motto is to let today be a better day than yesterday. His dream may come true as TWS’ album “Sparkling Blue” sold over 200,000 copies on its release. The new album also entered the iTunes song chart in 11 countries around the world further demonstrating the worldwide popularity of Kpop and the potential success of TWS. The main track on the album, “First Meetings Don’t Go as Planned” is notable for the unique drum and guitar sounds on the track. The music video for this song had more than 3.4 million views on YouTube the first day of its release. Critics have been praising their music and lyrics. Remember the names Shinyu, Dohoon, Youngjae, Hanjin, Jihoon and Kyungmin and watch their meteoric rise in the Kpop industry. 

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.