Annual Dancing With the Stars Competition Brings an Astounding 21 Couples to the Floor

2018 Mirror Ball Champions Pat Centeno and Christina Chatrnuck

Michelle Yu, Editor in Chief

Just when Ms. Muller thought she would have to cancel her annual Dancing With the Stars show for the first time ever, 21 student couples stepped up to the plate and saved the show. As she always says when recruiting dancers to participate, “no one has ever been sorry that they danced, but lots of people were sorry that they didn’t.” Only a couple weeks before the show, an influx of students pooled into the gym to sign up. Excited but nervous, most students found comfort in the fact that their friends would be dancing alongside them that night.

The competition, which took place the night of March 28th, was one of the biggest shows yet, not just in competitors, but also in audience. By the time the show  began, the gym was filled with enthusiastic parents, siblings, friends, and even teachers. Between the blaring music and non-stop applause, there wasn’t a single moment of silence in the gym.

This year’s show marked the first year that Mr. Roth would not host; instead, Mr. Preciado took on the esteemed role and tried to fill Mr. Roth’s shoes by filling the night with dance jokes, which gave everyone a laugh. However, the main event was the student dances, which did not fail to impress. Every student participated in all seven dances — the Salsa, the Rumba, the Cha Cha, the Waltz, the Swing, the Foxtrot, and the Hustle — and then moved onto the finals from there. Every student entered the finals in some capacity.

In between the student dances were performances by Jean Michel and Sasha, and Andrey and Anna — professional dancers who have participated in Dancing With the Stars for many years now. Senior Carley Wells, who also danced in the show, surprised the audience by singing “Fly Me to the Moon” to Andrey and Anna’s dance.

By the end of the night, seniors Patrick Centeno and Christina Chatrnuck were crowned the Mirror Ball Champions. Though not everyone went home with an award, there wasn’t a single student who didn’t have a good time. Senior Minji Kim says the experience was “so worth it” and that it was “really fun to experience the whole thing.” After this year’s massive turnout, there’s no doubt that next year’s competition will struggle to find eager dancers.