The student news site of Cresskill High School

The Communiqué

Breaking News

The Communiqué

The Communiqué

Rules That are Meant to be Broken

Some rules are meant to be broken, especially stupid ones. Many schools have these rules, especially teachers. Every teacher can make their own set of rules for their class. Whether it’s no phones or even no bathroom breaks, each one is different. Some are more strict, some more lenient. In this article. you will learn 9 silly rules that should not be in classrooms.

Firstly, no bathroom breaks. Bathrooms are an essential part of people’s lives. Whether it’s to clean their hands or to use them, people need them. Teachers should have no right to say whether a student can use it or not. Not letting a student go can make it hard to focus on the class. It could also hurt physically with stomach aches. Next up: no music in class. Music is essential to some for studying or just focusing. A lot of people can’t focus when they don’t have it playing and teachers again should not have the ability to take away a student’s aid in study. Third: no gum. No gum is a rule that can make sense if the student is making noises. Though if the student is quiet there shouldn’t be a reason for such a rule. A teacher can make a student throw out their gum just for chewing it quietly which doesn’t affect anyone and just abuses the power of a teacher.

Next three up are no hoods, having to hand write everything, and the bell not dismissing you. The no hoods rule can make sense as they don’t want intruders. But if the teacher already took attendance, what’s the point of the “no hood” rule? It has no meaning as you know there are no intruders. Then “I dismiss you, not the bell.” The rule has many flaws and shows incompetence in many ways. If the bell doesn’t dismiss me, why can’t I just come to the class late? The bell doesn’t matter, and even then the teacher shouldn’t have the ability to make a student late to a club, class or extracurricular when they didn’t misbehave. Lastly, having to hand write everything. Some teachers refuse to use technology and make their students do everything by hand. The rule refuses to advance the material with society’s current technology. The rule is just old school and doesn’t fit current day learning.

No talking in class , one of the most strict rules that no one enjoys. No talking doesn’t hurt anyone but it makes the class feel dead. Not the greatest environment to work in when people are bored. Talking can be essential for some classes and keeping them alive. Next is teachers not allowing phones in class. This rule is a 50/50 as it does distract some students, but sometimes students don’t have computers or other devices to use for school or sometimes they are more comfortable with their phones. With ups and downs, this still is a rule that doesn’t have many uses. Lastly, not being allowed to do classwork for another class. Some teachers think once you finish your work, you shouldn’t be allowed to work on other classes. As you advance in school you get more work, so a teacher whose work you finished shouldn’t increase your stress and workload, but try to help you.

Donate to The Communiqué
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Cresskill High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.